Dr Terry Sergeant
BSc (Hons) Psych, MSc, PgDip CBT, PsychD, CPsychol
Belfast Psychologist / Private Psychologist in Belfast, Northern Ireland
CBT Therapist in Belfast, Northern Ireland
Hi, I’m Terry. Welcome to my website. I am a Chartered Psychologist and a BABCP Accredited Cognitive-Behavioural Psychotherapist. That’s just a very fancy way of saying that I am qualified and experienced at what I do.
I’ve been working as a therapist since 2003, helping children, young people, and adults find solutions to their problems and cope with a range of difficulties.
I use various therapeutic methods to help my clients with anxiety, depression, shame, and low self-esteem – things that get in the way of having healthy relationships and successful lives.
I provide counselling and CBT appointments in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and online via Zoom. Due to the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, I do not provide face-to-face appointments at the present time. I also work in the NHS in a national specialist service for the treatment of trauma and anxiety-based problems.
I have completed a number of therapy training courses in CBT, counselling, couples therapy, and EMDR.
Issues and problems that I deal with
My approach to therapy focuses on what a person brings to the therapy, and the various things that underlie them and keep you feeling anxious or low in mood. Below are some examples of specific issues or target problems that I have experience of helping people with:
- Agoraphobia, fears about being outside your home, in busy crowded places, shopping centres, using public transport, etc.
- Bereavement, loss, and grief
- Body image issues and body dysmorphic disorder (BDD)
- Depression, low mood, feeling constantly sad, numb, or hopeless
- Excessive worrying and generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Issues specific to lesbian, gay, bisexual (LGB+) communities
- Men’s sexual problems such as erection problems, rapid ejaculation, sexual ‘performance’ anxieties.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks and panic disorder
- Phobias, e.g. fear of heights, flying, vomit phobia, blood-needle phobia
- Relationship difficulties, such as communication problems, trust issues, parenting concerns, issues that arise when couples want different things in their lives moving forward, etc.
- Sexual problems, including feelings of shame/guilt that are associated with sex, difficulties in having ‘sober’ sex, ‘out-of-control’ sexual behaviours.
- Social anxiety
- Trauma, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Workplace stress / work-life balance / work-related anxieties such as having to give presentations, fears of public speaking.
- Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, Roehampton University London
- MSc Counselling, University of Ulster
- Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive-Behavioural Psychotherapy, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (King’s College London)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Behavioural Couples Therapy, Royal Holloway London
- EMDR Accredited Training Parts 1, 2, & 3, The EMDR Academy
- Advanced Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling, Queen’s University Belfast
- Diploma in Counselling, Queen’s University Belfast
- BSc (Hons) Psychology, Queen’s University Belfast
About my approach
My approach to therapy is based on a ‘pluralistic model’ which means that I believe there are many ways in which human psychology can be explored and understood – no one theory or approach holds all the answers. Therefore, my style and approach are tailored to individual needs and personal circumstances.
My aim is to provide you with an opportunity to explore your difficulties and learn new techniques for improving your psychological health and well-being, in a safe, confidential and supportive environment.
My role is to help you through this process without criticism or judgement, to listen to your difficulties and provide feedback and suggestions based on my professional observations and specialist training. If at any time I feel that I cannot help you in this way, I will offer to refer you to another service or recommend an alternative approach.
Who I work with
Belfast private psychologist offering CBT, counselling, and anxiety therapy
If you are seeking help with an anxiety or depression issue, I can offer you a private, confidential consultation in Belfast City Centre, Northern Ireland. I provide counselling, CBT, and EMDR appointments in Belfast. I also offer therapy for depression and anxiety online via Zoom. To register your interest and have an initial chat, please get in touch.